Upcycling #LikeABoss

You know what looks awesome, no matter what? Barn board. That shit looks great regardless of what it is made into. Headboard? Awesome! Table? Awesome. Shelving? Awesome. A neatly stacked pile of wood in the garage? Yep, still awesome looking!

Based on availability, how awesome it looks and the cost (wood was free, brackets were less than $2 each) I decided to make barn board shelving. We have some long planks we used in the kids' rooms and we recently re-installed some shelves in our living room.


No barnboard? There's always a plethora of pallets! 😕

It's an easy project, really (making the shelving). You can go to a Home Depot (or similar competitor) and just buy some brackets and screws. Aside from a screw driver it's really all you need. You can have amazing looking shelves that compliment or contrast the area you put them in, but whatever they do, they make it look ... you guessed it ... awesome.  You can get all artsy and use a planer, or sand them or whatever, but I simply cleaned them off, pulled any nails out of them and installed 'as is.'

So, my recommendation? Find an old collapsed barn and see if the property owner is cool with you grabbing some planks. They may want money for good pieces, but I found beat up old broken pieces had the most character and were generally considered useless, thus free.

** DISCLAIMER **

The brackets were purchased new before I started this year of no more new stuff. I can only assume that Craigslist or Kijiji or a similar site would have simple brackets for purchase.

** UPDATE **

I found four (4) used brackets on Kijiji for $5 in the Toronto, Canada area. Craigslist was not as fruitful, but I'm sure if I put more than a minute into my searching I'd have found something.

So, yeah, you can have interesting, inexpensive shelving that looks great for a couple bucks. And believe me, if I can do it, YOU can do it. I was once nominated for Canada's Worst Handyman. I'm not even lying, but these shelves? Literally 8 screws and a screwdriver for the shelves I made.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism