Manliness + Sustainability = Bad Ass Dad

I bought something today, but it isn't new, so I'm still on course for my year long challenge. I picked up a vintage straight razor. I did a little research and scoured Kijiji with my one prerequisite being that it has to be used. The result is the $40 beauty you see below, but that's not the best part.  The best part of my purchase was the brief experience I had with the guy who sold it to me. He asked if I collected straight razors or wanted to use it. I said I'm planning on using it. He chuckled and asked why a straight razor in this day and age. So I told him what I'm doing here - that I've given up buying new stuff, including razors, so it was either grow a beard or find a way to shave that doesn't include disposables. He lit right up when I told him. He then asked if I was anti-consumerist and I said, not yet. Jokingly he asked if I buy food and I said it was the one thing I am allowed to buy new. He suggested, to keep in line with my challenge, that I grow my own food, and was shocked to learn I already do. He went on to tell me that the very jacket he was wearing is from a thrift shop and how he'd rather fix his jacket than buy a new one. Told him I've done the same thing with the very jacket I was wearing. Did we just become best friends?!? Anyways, he told me how he and his wife comb thrift stores for furniture they can either repurpose, upcycle or just refinish with some sanding and staining. I believe they're both retired, so it keeps them busy. I'm going to keep this guy's contact info. I liked him and what he's all about. He has years of experience on me so there's likely something I can learn from him. Plus, he's just a really nice guy.



New friend aside, shaving with a straight razor isn't something you just do. You have to hone the blade on a stone. You have to strop the blade before shaving. And when you finally have an edge sharp enough to cut through the brush, you have to learn how to use the bloody thing, and yes, it'll likely get bloody. Literally. I've done some researching on this and apparently I'm supposed to hold the blade on a 30 degree angle. Didn't know that. Probably could have sliced my face up pretty good had I just dived in on this one.

So, while using a straight razor isn't nearly as convenient as using a disposable Mach 5, I've got four things up on modern day shaving utensils:

  1. I got out of the house and met someone super interesting today - an older gentleman who shared the same values I do. I had real human interaction, conversation and we both came away with smiles on our faces. I likely would not have had the same pleasant run-in had I gone to the local big box store and bought a package of razors.
  2. I'm going to learn something new. It's not a new language or career path, but I'm going to learn. I'm going to try. I'm going to fail. But ultimately I'm going to succeed at something new. I can tell you, unequivocally, there is no sense of accomplishment shaving with a Mach 5.
  3. I'm keeping disposables out of landfill. Sure, razors themselves are pretty small, but they add up. There is also packaging to consider and the transportation of said product. That doesn't happen when I use a single blade for possibly years to come.
  4. My kids are going to have the manliest, old-school dad ever, or so they'll think. You can't put a price on that. I think just about every guy has some romanticized idea of straight razor shaving, but so few do it. Well, this dad is going to do it and this dad's kids are going to talk, when they're older, of how their dad is the most bad-ass 'cause he uses an f'ing straight razor. Clearly I have some romanticized version of how my kids will talk of me as manly and bad ass. 😕


But, it's late and this bad ass needs his beauty sleep.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism