Vegan Caramel Glazed Chocolate Goodness

As Dry February winds down I'm starting my transition to a plant-based diet. I've pretty much phased out meat and am minimizing dairy. I've noticed my protein intake has dropped while carbs and fats have gone up, but I'm not worried about that. We'll see how the month goes.

In researching a plant-based diet I came across a recipe for protein donuts. I've tried my hand at baking before and these turned out quite amazing. They're vegan and they're delicious! I won't ramble on about them. Instead I'll provide the recipe below.


"Donut ask me where I bought them. I made them!" 
Okay, that was bad, even by my standards.

This recipe is a two parter - donuts and glaze! Let's start with the donuts, shall we?

1 scoop Vega chocolate protein powder
1 cup gluten-free flour (I used organic millet flour)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1.5 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 cup Splenda
6 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1.25 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk dry ingredients together first. Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Once whisked, mix your wet bowl slowly into the dry bowl, careful not to just dump it in. Once thoroughly mixed pour batter into lightly greased donut tray. I have a 6 donut tray and had to cook two separate trays.
In your pre-heated oven of 350°, place your donut tray in for anywhere between 15-20 minutes. I did mine in a gas oven for 16 minutes.

Prepare the glaze!

1/4 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
1/4 cup sugar-free syrup

When the donuts are done baking and are starting to cool, melt your nut butter. Once melted, stir in the sugar-free syrup. Whisk that mixture up good. Once the donuts are done cooling, pop 'em out of the tray and dip 'em top down into the glaze. You may have to warm the glaze up if it's not dippable (not sure that's a word). Sprinkle on some dairy-free chocolate chips and you're done!

12c 4f 5p @ 101 calories (without dairy-free chocolate chips)

There you have it - completely vegan, caramel dipped chocolate donuts.

To quote Maui from Disney's Moana, "you're welcome."

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism