Thrifting as Addiction?

In the absence of purchasing anything new, I've found that thrift shopping or scouring used online ads has become a bit of a pastime, almost an addiction. There is something to be said about finding a great deal, but trying to keep in step with decluttering is becoming a bit of a battle. I've done well enough in terms of donating old clothes when I buy something 'new,' but I'm running out of clothes I'm willing to part with and I really enjoy finding something awesome at a second hand store. Just yesterday I found two used shirts I really liked, so I caved and purchased them.


Coincidentally, it is Hockey Night in Canada!

What else have I been scouring for?

  • Well, I'd like a second iPad Mini 2 in order to minimize the fighting between my boys over the one iPad Mini 2 I have. 
  • My Nexus 7, the one that allowed me to part ways with my Kobo in a previous post, is on it's last legs, so I started looking for a used Android tablet for me.
  • Shoes. I want to run a Tough Mudder or Spartan Race, and I'm not sure about you, but I don't exactly have disposable running shoes, so I check out shoes online and at thrift stores. I've already got a plan to recycle the beater shoes here (after churning them through the laundry machine of course).
  • A straight razor sharpening stone. I've been frantically searching for this one. Trying to find something used and/or affordable from an art lost long ago is proving difficult.
I thought I had an out for my razor problems. My best friend said her husband uses a straight razor, so maybe he'd have a sharpening stone I could borrow. Turns out he uses a safety razor and disposable blades. After clarifying what I was going to use to shave, I asked her to keep an eye out for me. She said she would and then sent a link to Amazon.ca's selection of sharpening stones with the phrase, "when in doubt." Huh ... when in doubt. Such a simple solution, I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it. Okay, so it violates the basic condition in terms of buying used, but it fits the spirit of the year long mission: reduce, reuse and recycle. I also have to look at the fact that some things just aren't going to be readily available all the time. I'm sure there are used, lapped and ready to go honing stones somewhere, but I'm running out of time (read: running out of Mach 5 razor cartridges).


Pretty sure this look won't fly. 😕

The good thing is the challenges I face have a bit of time to be resolved. I've said before that as the year goes on I'll have to start planning. I know I want to use a straight razor. I want to run races. I'll need clothes at some point. Not everything can be done on an 'as needed' basis. I guess it comes down to the old saying that those who fail to plan, plan to fail. To avoid the caveman look, I might have to adjust the parameters of my year long mission. I am TheEcoDad after all, not TheSecondHandDad. I have one more place I'd like to check out for a used sharpening stone, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Guess I have some thinking, searching and shopping to consider.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism