Me vs. Temptation

Temptation lurks all around us. We're inundated with the latest and greatest something or other. I got a phone for Christmas, liked the company's Instagram page and started following them. Problem with that is, aside from the cool pictures showcased by OnePlus owners, I've just recently been shown a really cool version of the phone I already have. The difference? It's limited edition black. Mine is charcoal. Now, I'm pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, so I've never lined up for an iPhone when the latest one came out, but others do. I can almost guarantee that someone has gotten rid of their perfectly good charcoal OnePlus 3T in order to get the OnePlus 3T in Midnight Black. Just this week I've seen the same thing with the latest iPhone 7. Now there's a 'RED' version allegedly supporting a cause. Not satisfied with your black or silver Google Pixel? How about a 'Really Blue' Pixel? Companies don't even have to innovate anymore. They can stretch out the supply of parts for old phones by putting it all together in a different coloured case. Ta da! Slap on "limited edition" and the masses go wild. It isn't just phones that hit you up to purchase, purchase, purchase. Ever sign up for a clothing companies eBlast? I get daily deals from Old Navy with huge discounts on things like shirts and jeans and just about anything else in their store. Sometimes it's tempting. I follow some clothing companies on Instagram, and that's bloody torture! I see a shirt I absolutely want, but can't have. Sometimes, there are even sales on those cool shirts, and yet, I've committed to this year. I feel like one of those Sith Kermit memes.

The struggle is real!

I think the biggest obstacle at times is self entitlement. I feel entitled to some sorta treat because I've refrained for this long. Question is, why am I entitled? What have I really done and does buying a new item have any lasting benefit? The best money I've spent recently is donating to a cause. I then joined the cause to raise more money. I felt good about paying to run in two 10k races where funds raised will go to local NGO's that help the community I live in. The used items I've purchased have been kept from landfill. These are things I can genuinely feel good about. I've never had the same feelings buying the latest electronic or some article of clothing at the local shopping mall. I do struggle sometimes though. Some of those VGHC or Violent Nomad shirts are pretty sweet and I'm not going to find some of these niche items at a thrift store. I search out online, but my success rate is pretty low ... as in zero. Meh, life without struggle is blah, blah, blah. It's a shirt. I'll get over it. Maybe the key is to stop following awesome clothing lines on Instagram.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism