DIY Garage Gym Pt.3

While I continue to bitch about my left knee, I'm not sitting still. I'm steadily building my garage gym out of scrap wood. While the wife was away in the nation's capital, my sons and I built a bench for my bench press as well as a weight rack of sorts. They ain't pretty, they just look that way.

How'd we build the bench? Well, here's a look at the cut list:

2 @ 2"x 6"x 48" (top part where you lay down)
1 @ 4"x 6"x 48" (base where you'll attach the legs; here I used 4 @ 2"x4"x 48" because I'm using scrap wood)
4 @ 2"x 6"x 18.5" (legs)
2 @ 2"x 6"x 20.5" (top and bottom of the base to stabilize)
2 @ 2"x 6"x 12" (joins the legs and holds the top planks you lay upon)


This is what your bench will look like, minus the 4 year old. 

I drilled the 20.5" stabilizers to the base to start, giving me an 'I' like shape. Next, I attached the 18.5" legs, squaring them up to be as flush as possible to the base and the stabilizers. Next I put the 12" tops to bridge the bottom legs and the top legs. Once those are on, you can lay down the 2 48" planks and screw them in.  It's actually pretty easy. Walk yourself through it mentally and again, the pic above is what you get.

With the remaining scrap wood (and there wasn't much good stuff left) we built a storage 'rack' for my weight plates. I don't exactly have a cut list for this one. We improvised by cutting what I believe was an 8' 2"x 4" in half. Each 'divider' was cut from a 2"x 6" and height was approximately half the height of the plates they were going behind.


I guess if I'm trying to show the height of the dividers, this is a bad angle. 

This was really easy to do and actually does a decent job of keeping the plates organized in one area. It's also an easy DIY that upcycles wood otherwise destined for the scrap yard. Not bad!

I don't have any other plans/projects for the ol' garage gym. Well, I did see an awesome dip station I could build, but if I'm going to do it with second hand materials I'm going to need 1.5" threaded steel pipes, elbows and floor flanges. If it could fold away too, that'd be perfect. We'll see. I'll keep my eye out, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism