5k & 10k in 2 Days

So, my knee injury from months ago isn't much better. I may just relent and go see a doctor, but not before I kick the shit out of them one last time. 😕  The question begs: why? Because I had to go to Ukraine for work when this particular race took place. I registered for a 5k on a Friday with a follow up 10k the morning after. Why would anyone do that? Because the funds raised went directly into the small town my mom moved to and you got a bonus medal if you did it. Let's have an honest moment between us here. I just wanted the bonus medal. Oh, and I wanted to complete approximately 4 races this year.

Race day came and went while I was off travelling for work and I was saddened I didn't get my medals or complete my races. Another moment of honesty, if you'll allow it: I had more fun in Ukraine, but that's not the point. Resigned to waiting until next year, I was pleasantly surprised when the event organizers created a virtual race. What's a virtual race? Well, record two (2) runs that qualify (mine was the initial 5k followed by a 10k) for the Mighty Mudcat Challenge (yes, that's what it was called) and you get the medals sent to you and you can do the runs anywhere. This is amazing for a variety of reasons:

  1. I get my medals (yes, I intentionally put that first).
  2. The excess/unclaimed medals of the actual event are kept from landfill by going to virtual racers.
  3. The community continues to raise funds for their youth programs.
This is a win-win-win in my books. I'd say I see no downside, but my left knee says otherwise. As a side note, if you'd like to run this Mighty Mudcat Challenge, you can click here. I think I even get $5 towards my next race registration. Whoa, let's recap. You get exercise. You get a medal (or medals). I get $5. Is that another win-win-win? Did we just become best friends?

Anyways, I looked up my last recorded run on Strava and it's been almost 2 months. My cardio sucks and my knee hurts. I did it though and I'm sure my medals are in the mail.


Don't be afraid to catch fish! - Katy Perry

Hopefully I can fix myself before the big 10k in October for SickKids Hospital. I've almost reached the $1000 mark in my fundraising efforts, so I've upped my goal to $1250. Want to contribute to that far more altruistic goal? Okay, I'll post that link here. You're welcome? Ha!

As of publishing, the medals have arrived and they're a glorious addition to my collection. Yes, this flies in the face of decluttering.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism