Swimming, Cycling, Running, Oh My!

You know that whole "do one thing every day that scares you?" Yeah, not so sure that's the best advice. I'm sure it's got limitations and such. For instance, I took the plunge and registered for a Try-A-Tri ... an introduction, of sorts, to triathlons. Why is that a scary idea? Simply put: I suck at swimming. Seriously, I'm terrible at it. I can tread water for like 30 seconds before I need friggin' water wings. What's worse is I have less than 2 months to get some beginner level of proficiency under my belt. Pray for my swimming abilities.

Know what else I suck at? Cycling. Didn't think that was possible? It is. Borrowed the wife's bike the other night and sweet Jesus those gears just slip in and out, to and fro. One second I'm struggling to push forward, the next second it's like peddling does nothing. I get it's different gears and such, but after close to 7kms I had zero figured out. At the half way point I just put it at the hardest (lowest?) gear and left it. My quads were killing me!

Can't swim, can't cycle ... found an out!

Also, at time of registration I had nothing for a triathlon other than a set of swim trunks. I borrowed the wife's bike to reacquaint myself with cycling (man did that suck), but I still need a helmet. I bought some goggles off Kijiji (love that website/app), but they weren't exactly used. They were 1 pair from a set of 3 some dude bought at Costco. He only needed 2 and I only needed 1. Waste not, want not, right? I feel this purchase is in some sorta grey area in my year long commitment to not buy new.  I didn't buy from the store and they weren't in their original packaging, but they'd never been worn. Where to draw the line?  I could probably just use the hygiene 'out.' I think I will.

I've got lots of training to do. I have no idea where to start, but I'll figure it out. Independently I can run 2.5km. I can cycle 10km. I'm not sure I can do 400m worth of swimming and I'm even less sure I can do all three things one after the other.

Coco out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism