Sunshine & Lollipops

It's easier, and a lot more fun, to showcase life's victories. Last year I completed my first 5km race. This year I completed my first 10km race. This weekend I attempted my first Try-a-Tri triathlon. Finishing races and raising money for good causes was sunshine and lollipops. This triathlon thing? A disaster. It was the complete opposite of sunshine and lollipops. It was shit storms and black licorice. 


Artist's rendition of my swim at the Try-a-Tri

This journey of eco-friendly frugality, family and fitness isn't going to be victory after victory.  I'm not perfect. No one is. There are, inevitably, going to be losses and heart break. I'm not going to hide mine to create some facade of infallibility.  I posted a DNF at this Try-a-Tri and the feeling of disappointment was brutal. There isn't much else to say. I shit the proverbial bed. 

What's important though is what happens after the fall. It's easy to give up and move on, but then I'd have this shit monkey on my back in perpetuity. So, I've downloaded an 11 week training regimen. I'm going to try again at the beginning of the 2018 season. I'm shot for the remainder of the 2017 season, but I have a 1 month pass at the local lap pool. Probably gonna have to get that extended if I have any chance of building 400m of open water endurance. 

So, that sucked. I did take the next day off and spent some time with the kids in Niagara Falls. The weekend wasn't a complete loss. Just would have been nicer with a finisher's medal around my neck. Like I said though - can't all be sunshine and lollipops.

Coco out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Year Older, Another Race Run and Shoreline Cleaned

Dry February is Here!

Wow - Veganism